13 mai 2011

Wonderings


By Jane Roberts

This immense property,
sky and earth
ringed by galaxies,
suddenly seems miniature,
a toy world
in some vast inside,
never exteriorized,
a tiny cell couched tenderly
within a cosmic forehead,
our treetops
the waving nerve ends
of a god’s brain,
tumbling leaves, his thoughts
that rise and fall and drop
to the rich mind’s floor.

Weird vision!
But suppose our seasons are
the cellular commotion of some
world-mind,
and each summer is but of one message
that blinks between neurons
as large as stars
while we
live ninety nights and days
at the bottom
of a god’s dream.

And what about us, so free-wheeling,
soul-eyes opening on earth stuff?
Are we gods in miniature,
containing within us
other creatures who meet
in our swirling tissues
and call them worlds?

Do my summer thoughts
bring trees to fruit
and lilacs blooming
in some cellscape within my skin,
where toy people
break off apple blossoms
and nibble
at my heart’s fruits?
Do my rages
cause storms that terrify,
shaking the brain’s skies, sending
shrieking dolls running for shelter?
I hope not.

Yet we kill ants
who live just beneath our feet,
and just one step
can avalanche a whole ant village,
but we take it for granted
that their live is so small
they don’t miss it at all.
Still, it makes you think:
Do the ants call us Fate?

Is thunder really
a god’s voice
impinging on our universe,
distorted into slow rumbles
that crack our clouds?
And do our whispers fall
like raindrops in other worlds,
or drop into the soil
and turn into seeds and grow?

Idle speculation?
No. Sitting here once
I glimpsed gigantic forms
looking over the rim
of the universe,
peeking in quietly
as if not to disturb
our reality.
They blended with the earth and sky,
yet three large windows showed me
only one partial torso
on which houses, trees, and streets
were superimposed.
I had to look twice to see
just where they merged.

In that instant my rooms shrunk,
and I felt that our world, tiny, all snug,
hung in some gigantic inner space,
and I sprang up with alarm.
The forms were gone.
My rooms snapped back to their normal state,
but I’d seen them through other eyes,
and that sight
still intruded.

Yet if our life is so minute,
how can our loves and hates
so hugely rise,
or one day sometimes seem so immense
that we can never get out of it,
or one word
strike so vividly
that it brings tears?
What dear experience is this?
What points of power intersect
that you and I and each ant live?

As I write,
one ant, in fact,
speeds the floor,
intent as if on business,
all legs going as fast as they can go,
across the kitchen rug continent
to the mountain reaches of the wall.
How massive this room must seem,
its furniture
fixtures in a firmament
familiar but alien,
in which even an ant knows he’s not alone,
and that the room has other purposes
that go on about him all the time,
as becomes obvious when,
for instance, one ant climbs
on top of a jar, and I knock him off,
or one wanders into the sink
just when I’m running the water on.
Sometimes my giant hand saves him,
as I let him crawl on it, then shake him loose,
or distracted, too late, I forget,
and see he’s fallen to his fate.

Yet the ants know secret nooks
and crevices,
inaccessible to me,
and inner commotions and concerns go on
just inches within the white woodwork.
Miniature joys and agonies
quake and rise
in generations of ants and flies
just beneath the surface of my days,
of which I’m completely unaware.

Even my cat is a furry giant
to an ant,
an impediment
to be circled carefully
like a mountain
that might collapse
at any time.
So perhaps the universe
has other purposes than ours,
and trees and earth and even stars
are furniture
in a different kind of galaxy
than we surmise.

Marionnettes géantes Royal de Luxe à Nantes

***
Being fair and reasonable
will earn you respect and admiration,
but being genuinely kind
will make you a total love magnet.
Pucker up. Go for love magnet.
~ Mike Dooley

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire